It was my friend’s birthday on 28th of November. He bought a new, flashy Chinese mobile phone(sorry, i can not recall the model-name. Do they have any?) Anyways, he was extremely happy to have one for it had most of the features you would desire to have in your mobile for a very low price.
It was all smooth sailing till 30/11 because from 31st onwards, he couldn’t receive any calls on his phone. Frustrated, he went to the mobile operator and came to know the reason. His China phone didn’t had the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number. And as per the orders by the Government of India, all mobile operators were asked to block the services to all the mobiles not having a valid IMEI number from 30/11/09 onwards.
The IMEI numbers or rather Valid IMEI number across the world is collected and stored in a Database by the Global Systems for Mobile Communications Association (GSMA). If your IMEI number is not included in that database, then the services to your mobile must have been barred from November 30.
WHY NOT HAVING A VALID IMEI NUMBER IS HARMFUL?
- such phones are supposed to be used by the terrorists for communication amongst themselves.
- your phone and other details can not be tracked in case of theft.
- simply, they’ll just not work after the strict notice to the mobile networks from the Indian government to block the services of such phones.
How to have a valid IMEI number for your phone?- just follow the following simple steps:
- dial *#06# and your unique 15 digit IMEI number will be displayed on your mobile screen.
- send this number to 53232 for validation. If the IMEI number is valid, you receive a success message; else, invalid. SMS charge RS 3.
- If the number is invalid, implant new IMEI number by approaching GII (Genuine IMEI Implant program) centers run by ICA (Indian Cellular Association). The total amount for GII implant process is Rs.199 (all-inclusive).